Saturday, July 11, 2009

Show Pride, Not Your Penis

(Please be aware that this brief commentary contains links to images that contain nudity and may be offensive to some readers. If in doubt or nudity offends you, DON'T click the links.)

I've never quite understood why the gay community in Toronto felt it was necessary to have a parade every year to show their pride in being homosexual. I'm heterosexual and to my knowledge there are no parades for us to celebrate our sexual orientation, nor would I need to ride a float to announce it and force it on others.

I'm not against the gay community and I'm not a religious man, I just believe there must be a moral standard we abide by even in these modern times. I have known many gay people and aside from what goes on in their personal lives and having some different interests, we're really the same. In fact, a few of them refuse to attend the parade in Toronto due to the disgusting displays and nudity that is flaunted year after year.

Seriously, if I was to organize a parade in my town and walk down the street with my penis bouncing in the breeze, I'd expect to be arrested. However, in Toronto this is a common occurrence during the Pride Parade and the police seem to look the other way. I guess tourism dollars are more important than enforcing our public decency laws.

Nudity doesn't offend me in the least. I don't have a problem with the human body and I'm certainly not a prude. Perhaps it is my upbringing but I don't understand why these individuals feel compelled to show off their reproductive organs at a public event that underage children can attend. Can't you be a proud gay man or woman without removing your pants? Sure some can...but why can't they all?

The topless women don't bother me or the men who are also topless but wear skimpy bikini briefs. At least they have their most private areas covered.

I don't have a problem with politicians who support the gay community like NDP Leader Jack Layton who actually participates in the parade but where are his moral values? If he is fine with this then I can't respect him and certainly would never vote for him.

If they are going to continue the tradition of the Gay Pride Parade in Toronto then I wish them the best of luck and continued success if they feel that it's necessary. Have fun and bring smiles to those who attend the event. I just wish the organizers would take a stand and force the participants to wear pants at the very least. If that's what it takes to be gay, then I'm glad I was born a heterosexual man.

1 comment:

  1. Betty in North York2:31 am

    I couldn't agree more. The parade can be a fun time for everybody but there's no need to take it that far. I went one year and was so disgusted I'll never attend again. Gay or straight...a display like that doesn't belong on the streets of Toronto. The police need to do their jobs and the mayor and council should be stepping in to make sure this parade is made family friendly.

    ReplyDelete