Sunday, October 12, 2008

Remembering Hinterland

If you're Canadian and over the age of 30, chances are at some point growing up you've seen the Hinterland Who's Who commercials on TV from the Canadian Wildlife Service and Environment Canada.

These informative vignettes first appeared in the early 1960's and educated Canadians on nature and the wildlife that inhabits our great nation. They brought native wildlife into living rooms using excellent film footage and simple narration. They became, and remain, an enduring part of Canadian culture.

As a kid, I don't think I appreciated them as much as I do now. Back then I hated school and these informational commercials came off as more teaching in the comfort of my own home. I didn't want to learn anything on "my time".

But now, I enjoy hearing the lonely flute of the background music and the nostalgia of those pieces. They take me back to a simpler time.

They were a great way to learn about nature and the wildlife that resides within our borders. If you'd like to view some of the old and newer videos, click on the link above to visit their website and check out their media gallery.

Here's one I came across online to remind you of the way they used to be.


And here's a spoof that someone put together based on these old public service announcements. It's kind of funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment