Saturday, October 25, 2008

Ontario Cell Phone Ban

It might be free of charge to call 911 on your cell phone but don't get caught doing it while your car is in motion, or you could be the one facing charges.

Ever since the first cell phone was used by motorists in Ontario the controversy and debate over their use has been a hot topic. Does talking on a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle make you a worse driver and a hazard on the roads? I can't believe I'm going to say this but "yes it does".

Now let me explain that. I have been a regular user of my cell phone while driving since I first bought a cell phone some 12 + years ago. I have not had an accident. I have not caused an accident and I have not come close to being in an accident.

Maybe I've just been lucky but I honestly think what I stated in my blog post of March 10, 2007 still rings true today. People who are good drivers can operate a motor vehicle and converse on a cell phone at the same time. A bad driver is just made that much worse when they're talking on the phone or doing something other than paying attention to the road.

In case you hadn't heard, the Liberal government at Queen's Park will be introducing a long sought bill to ban not only cell phone use behind the wheel in Ontario, but all electronic distractions in your car.

The bill will be introduced at 1:45pm next Tuesday (Oct. 28/08).

It's not clear yet exactly what will be in the legislation, expected to be brought out for first reading by Transport Minister Jim Bradley, but there are reports it will prohibit all use of phones, BlackBerrys and GPS devices by drivers in this province, with the possible exception of hand's-free devices.

It appears the law will only apply to those behind the wheel and not passengers in the front or back seat.

If this becomes a law I will comply...but the Liberals (who I voted for last election) will not get another vote from me ever. Are they going to pay for the new $140 earpiece so I can still use my phone? I highly doubt it. That's right though, you'll still be able to talk on the phone...just not with the phone in your hand up to your ear. You'll be able to use one of those goofy looking in your ear dohickey's.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's a smart idea for drivers to not talk on the phone while driving but why should I be penalized for no reason. I haven't had a problem driving and talking. In fact, I've come closer to getting into a fender bender by trying to change the radio.

If it's a matter of pubic safety, then I'm all for it but why stop at cell phones and other hand held electronics. Lets stop all stupidity behind the wheel. Make the law cover drivers eating food or drinking beverages. How about women checking their make-up or applying lipstick. Why not ban talking to any of the passengers in the vehicle. That can be a distraction as well.

I am sick of the government meddling in my life and telling me what I can and can't do. It may be a good idea but this penalizes me when I haven't done anything wrong. My MPP has done nothing for me and while I like Lou Rinaldi as a person, I can no longer support him or his party of choice. I am a Liberal supporter no more!

So, while I'm driving my way to the electronics store to by a new hands-free Jawbone, I think I'll call Lou to tell him what I think of his boss Dalton.

No comments:

Post a Comment