Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Campfire Time-Lapse

I was feeling creative yesterday so I decided to try my luck at Time-lapse Photography.

Some of you may be wondering what this is.

Time-lapse photography
is a cinematography technique whereby each film frame is captured at a rate much slower than it will be played back. When replayed at normal speed, time appears to be moving faster and thus lapsing. Time-lapse photography can be considered to be the opposite of high speed photography.

Processes that would normally appear subtle to the human eye, such as the motion of the sky, clouds or people, become very pronounced.

For those who may be interested, this was my first ever attempt at time-lapse photography and I have already learned a lot. Most importantly it's probably better to shoot it earlier in the day when it's lighter. But it was all new territory for me.

I used my Nikon D80 tethered to my laptop with Nikon Camera Control Pro 2 and set the program to shoot 350 photos at 3 second intervals. There is no post-production on the individual photos. I shot each photo with the White Balance set at Manual Sunlight at ISO 100, f14, 1/15 second. The lens was set at 18mm.

I next used Quicktime Pro to create the video at 10 frames per second. Then I added the .mov file to the ProShow Gold 4 software and added music and the intro before creating the final .mpg file.

It was a fun first effort and I hope you like it.


Copyright © All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment