Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Canadian Olympic Hockey Logo Irritates Me

Why does it seem like everything related to any big event held in Canada has to pander to the First Nations People? Heaven forbid we upset the natives.

Once again we have to make special reference to the native people of Canada in relation to the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. The first item that really set me off was the design and names of the Olympic Mascots for the games. I wrote my feelings about that in a story called Are Olympic Mascots Canadian?

Now the Canadian Olympic Committee and First Nations people have found an ally in Hockey Canada. Yesterday the newly designed Men's and Women's Hockey and Paralympic Sledge Hockey jersey's were unveiled at a ceremony in Vancouver.

From a distance I think the new hockey jersey's look pretty good and somewhat traditional. I love the red and white, although I could do without the corporate Nike Swoosh logo on the front (I thought there wasn't supposed to be any corporate logos...that's why we had to change the sweaters in the first place).

Overall it is a simple design and people world wide identify Canada with the Maple Leaf.


What I don't like about the design is the artwork within the maple leaf crest. Sure it's creative and from a distance you won't be able to decipher it but even though it's a subtle addition, I think it speaks volumes to how the politically correct individuals running things felt the need to include the native people in the process...again.

In fact, native artist Debra Sparrow designed the art inside the crest. There is a thunderbird and an eagle, two symbols important in First Nation culture included in the design. Sparrow says, "It's designed from history that reflects our First Nations people." That's right...when I think of Canada and our National sport of Hockey, I immediately think of thunderbirds and eagles. I just shake my head in disbelief.

When is "MY Canada" going to be represented. I was born in Canada so doesn't that make me a native Canadian. Why isn't my culture represented?
I'm surprised Hockey Canada didn't totally commit to the Native and Aboriginal theme and make the sweaters out of seal skin.

I'm not anti-native but it just seems every time we turn around we're going out of our way to cater to them and having Native art shoved down our throats. Visitors to our Olympic games are going to leave with the impression that we're all Natives and speak nothing but french. Yes, they are a part of our Canadian heritage and history but there's a lot more to Canada than the native people.

Hell, the dinosaurs were here before all of us, so maybe we should include a T-Rex in the Canadian logos and opening ceremonies.

I don't know, perhaps I'm especially bitter because I've had to deal with native protesters first hand in recent years and put up with their blockades and other bullsh&t.
Any way, I can hardly wait to see the opening ceremonies. I'm sure I'll be gagging and moaning the whole way through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment