Sunday, August 16, 2009

I Hate Telemarketers!

I am sick and tired of telemarketers calling. They usually call around supper time because they know they stand a better chance of getting someone with a mouth full of food.

Recently I added my phone number to the Canadian National Do Not Call List and even though that did reduce the number of annoying calls I get, it hasn't eliminated them entirely.

I'm still getting the calls where the ship horn sounds before a recorded voice tells me I've won a cruise. Ya right....I can hardly wait to hit the high seas.

The easiest one's to ignore are when you say "hello" and there's that pause before someone picks up at the other end. The auto dialer calls and as soon as they realize they have a live person, they'll start into their sales pitch. What I like about those calls is they're easy to identify and therefore I'm able to hang up as soon as they don't answer right away. Of course if I don't hang up quick enough, I still don't feel rude hanging up on them.

Part of me can't help but feel a little sorry for these telemarketers though. I mean, it's their job to bother me and I'm quite sure they'd feel exactly as I do if they were getting the calls. I'm pretty sure that just because someone works as a telemarketer, that doesn't mean they're any more tolerant when someone calls to interrupt their meals.

I'm reminded of one of my favourite Seinfeld scenes when Jerry receives a call from a guy trying to get him to switch phone companies. I loved how he handled it.



But I think Tom Mabe did a great job of turning the tables on the telemarketer who called him one evening. It seems Tom enjoys messing with their minds and records the conversations for others to enjoy...or at least that's what we're to believe in this radio clip. I don't know if this really happened or not but I still thought it was too funny to not share with all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment