Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Too Many Repatriation's

Two more Canadian soldiers, killed over the weekend in Afghanistan returned home to Canada on Tuesday at a sombre repatriation ceremony in Trenton, Ont.

Sapper Mathieu Allard, 21, and Cpl. Christian Bobbitt, 23, died in a roadside bomb attack in the Zhari district, west of Kandahar, on Saturday.

The plane carrying their flag-draped coffins touched down at CFB Trenton just after 2 p.m. ET Tuesday. Gov. Gen. Michaƫlle Jean and Defence Minister Peter MacKay were among the dignitaries on the tarmac.

My mother had never been to a repatriation even though she lives so close to the base. I couldn't take her down to the base this time as I had her out doing some shopping, so we decided to stop along the Highway of Heroes (Hwy 401 - Canada's busiest) at Brighton to pay our respects and watch as the bodies and families passed by on the way to to Toronto.

The bridge over the highway and every other bridge between Trenton and Toronto was packed with people waving Canadian flags and showing their support. Some people were crying and like the others I've watched in the past, the emotions are always visible.

While I wish our men and women could all come home to Canada and be safe, I understand why they are there and even more so, I know they believe in what they're doing and I support them. I just hope we don't have to watch anymore hearse's make the long journey down the Highway of Heroes.

In this photo you can see my mother with her Canadian flag in hand waiting for the procession to go by.


Mom Waits By Highway

No comments:

Post a Comment